Saturday, May 2, 2009

Help for soldiers having PTSD

Hi i am SFC Linam a soldier that just returned from Iraq I was not able to sleep for more than 4 or 5 hours. I couldn’t keep from remembering past events. The doctor said that I was just stressed out and told me to wait for about 3 weeks and if I still had these symptoms to return. So I did just that (luckily) I was still on leave. During this time I started not being able to remember short term things and some long term things. Sometimes I would be in the middle of a sentence I would forget the subject I was on. My attitude started to change I was angry about everything. My wife and children started walking on egg shells afraid I would blow up. I stayed away from everyone to include my children. I was startled by loud noises or fast moving people. I had overwhelming guilt feelings for things done in Afghanistan and Iraq. I was depressed all the time and felt I could do nothing right. I went to my doctor and she put me on anti-depressants. Two weeks later I decided to go to the VA and get signed up. I did just that and had my 1st appointment 5 days later. To my surprise things ran very efficient. 0900hrs psychologist and 1100hrs primary care doctor. After the 0900 appointment I felt scared that something could be wrong with me mentally. The 1100 appointment didn’t go well either. They found disk problems in my back and said I could have TBI. Yes, x-ray, x-ray, x-ray, and a MRI. I felt helpless and scared that I couldn’t support my family anymore. This helpless feeling mad me mad with myself and anyone in the way. A week later I went back to my psychologist and was told I had PTSD and mild TBI. I went to the federal VA rep and filed for disability. The next week I was sent to 3 outside doctors and evaluated. The doctors all said that I had PTDD Mild TBI and back degenerative disk problems. 3 weeks later I received a letter from the VA and it stated that my disabilities needed more investigation and they would let me know when it was finished. So, here I am can’t work and no job and no disability. I started to find other people that would help me to get on my feet again. Sometimes I feel week for being this way. I use to be the guy that said suck it up and finish the mission. Guess that bit me on the ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment