Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Remembering Cal Farley's boys ranch service members

Between the years of 1976 and 1978 I was a young teenager from a divorce family. I as many other teenagers in situations as I was, made so many wrong decision and was definitely heading in the wrong direction. What is sad is, most of the people that I hung around with at that time in my life are now either dead or in jail. I lived with my stepfather because my mother was not able to provide for my welfare. I was one of the lucky ones though. Since my stepfather could no longer control my actions he enlisted the help of Cal Farley’s boys ranch in Amarillo, Texas, and by the time I started my freshman year in 1978, I was assigned to Bridwell dorm at the ranch. Although I fought tooth and nail against the staff rules during the first year, a man, my dorm parent, Winston Chandler was able to change my outlook and perspective of who I wanted to be in the future. During the first year, I can remember many days of being on restriction because of my actions. It is kind of funny, I got real good with a Sling Blade, and I believe I cut most of the grass around our dorm hundreds of times. The fact is the ranch provided me a future, which was different than the one I was previously going to have. After graduating Cal Farley’s boys ranch I moved back to Marlow, Oklahoma. In 1982 Oklahoma jobs were scarce, but because of the training and skills I received from Cal Farley’s boys ranch through F.F.A., I was able to secure a job within two weeks. and by the end of that summer, I had decided to join the military and I soon graduated from basic training at Fort Benning, Georgia as an infantry soldier. 1987 1987 The next time I met a fellow boy’s rancher was in 1987. After accident I had at Fort Jackson South Carolina. I needed x-rays and was sent to the military hospital. I can remember laying on the cold table as my chest was hurting from of falling off of the repelling training tower. The next face I saw surprised me. It was a young man, Kevin McKinney, who was my roommate at Cal Farley’s boys ranch and he was the x-ray technician assigned to take care of me. It is funny how after so many years you can run into someone who was your friend, and are still there for you in your time of need. This is exactly what I am talking about when we are asking for the public’s help in building a Veterans Memorial at Cal Farley’s boys ranch. Cal Farley’s boys ranch is a completely non-profit organization and is only run through the donations and support of the public. At the time I was at the ranch there was only boys, but for the past 30 + years, boys and girls have been able to receive the same benefits I received as a boy’s rancher; through Cal Farley’s Girlstown USA and Boys ranch. The fact is hundreds of Girlstown and boys ranch alumni have served in the military and some have paid the ultimate price. It is these veterans I stand up for, and ask a small token to be donated to the Cal Farley’s Veterans Memorial fund through buying a limited edition Veterans Supporter T-shirt. Help us raise over $3000 to build a Veterans memorial at Cal Farley’s Boys Ranch. Cal Farley’s Boys Ranch Alumni Association seeks help in the costs of building a memorial for boys and girls of the Boys Ranch and Girlstown, who have served and or have died defending our great nation. If we reach 250 shirts sold we will earn over $3200 which is just a start of what the cost will be. Shirts will be delivered approximately November the 26th after the close date of November the 11th. All funds raised will go to Cal Farley’s Boys Ranch Alumni Association to help in the building of the Veterans Memorial. At this time we have: over 500 Facebook likes and 38 T-shirts purchased with 14 Days to Go. The goal is 250 Shirt. So as you can see we are definitely needing your assistance in not only ordering a T-shirt but also passing on this information through your personal websites and possibly even the companies you work for. Please click on this link to make your order: Reserve Yours Today If you need additional information about our organization here are the links: Cal Farley’s boys ranch alumni Association Boys Ranch Girlstown USA https://www.booster.com/cfbraa Order your limited edition Cal Farley’s Memorial support T-shirt before they run out!

No comments:

Post a Comment